Today marks 100 days since security forces arbitrarily detained Sylla, Bah, and Mohamed Cissé, another FNDC member, and transferred them to an unknown location. Cissé was released July 10, while Sylla and Bah remain missing. Authorities have yet to acknowledge their detention or disclose their whereabouts, despite being asked by lawyers representing the men. This amounts to an enforced disappearance under international law.
On July 17, the prosecutor’s office of the Conakry Court of Appeal said that Sylla and Bah had not been arrested by authorities and that they were not being held in any of the country’s prisons, claiming they had been abducted. Authorities told Human Rights Watch they don’t know where the two political activists are and are searching for them.
The FNDC, which has been calling for the restoration of civilian rule since the military coup in 2021, said that security forces tortured Sylla and Bah, allegations also documented by Human Rights Watch and reported by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Please note:
This action will also remove this member from your connections and send a report to the site admin.
Please allow a few minutes for this process to complete.